Enrollment » Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


The San Carlos School District is open to all age-eligible students who live within the boundaries of the San Carlos School District (note that the school district boundaries are not identical to the civic boundaries of the City of San Carlos).

How do I find out which school my student will attend?
The District has eight schools - Arundel Elementary, Brittan Acres Elementary, Heather Elementary, White Oaks Elementary, Arroyo Upper Elementary, Mariposa Upper Elementary, Central Middle School, and Tierra Linda Middle School. Please refer to our School Locator to locate your home school based on your address.

How do I register my student?
For new students, please visit our How to Register for the 2023-24 School Year page for directions. 

If my child attends preschool in the District, do I still need to register as a new student?
Yes, preschool students currently enrolled in one of our SCSD preschools must still complete the registration process to be enrolled in TK or Kindergarten. If your child is currently enrolled in one of our SCSD preschool classes, they are not yet a matriculated student and are required to register for TK/Kindergarten.

If my child attends TK in the District, do I need to register for Kindergarten next year?
No. TK students currently enrolled in SCSD do not need to re-register for Kindergarten as they are already enrolled in our District and will be automatically enrolled in Kindergarten.

Do I have to register my student every year?
No. New Student Registration is only for students who will be new to the district. Re-enrollment/Back-to-School Forms for current students will be sent directly to parents/guardians via email in the spring, typically the end of March. 

What Proofs of Residency are Required for Registration?

    1. Current utility bills from two different sources (for example PG&E, Recology, Comcast, California Water Service). Must show names, service address, and residence address as one and the same.
    2. One of the following:
      1. Homeowners - Sales contract, grant deed, or current property tax bill (must show names, service address and residence address as one and the same).
      2. Renters - Current rental agreement with resident's name and address, phone number of manager/landlord listed on the document. If rental agreement is passed the expiration date or month-to-month, must also include a currently dated status letter from the landlord.
      3. Legal Affidavit of Parent Residence - Most present deed, property tax bill or rental agreement plus 2 utility bills of the person with whom you are living. Affidavit of Residency Form must be notarized.

What proof of immunization is required? Do you need the doctor's signed form?
A document downloaded from your provider's website is sufficient as long as it has all the details and the physician's letterhead. Personal Beliefs Exemptions do not apply.

At what age can my child start Transitional Kindergarten / Kindergarten?
For the upcoming 2023-24 school year, students are eligible to enter the following grade levels based on their birthdate:
- Transitional Kindergarten (TK) - if they have reached 5 years of age on or between September 2, 2023 – April 2, 2024.
- Kindergarten - if they have reached 5 years of age on or before September 1, 2023.
- Students are not eligible to enter Kindergarten or TK for the 2023-24 school year if they are not 5 years old by April 2, 2024. They will be eligible to enroll in the 2024-25 school year.

What is Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is a bridge between preschool and kindergarten for children turning five-years old. It provides young learners a head start and the opportunity to learn and grow in an environment that is tailored to meet their academic and social needs. Please see our Transitional Kindergarten page for more information.
School Year Extends TK Eligibility to any child who turns 5 between:
2023-24   Sep 2, 2023 - Apr 2, 2024
2024-25   Sep 2, 2024 - Jun 2, 2025
2025-26 and every year   thereafter  All students who will have their fourth birthday by September 1 of the upcoming school year are eligible for TK (universal eligibility)

Can we apply to go to the Early Learning Center/Preschool at any site?
Yes, preschool registration is not dependent on your address. Additionally, we have a new, part-day, California State Preschool Program (CSPP) class at Arundel from 9:00 am -12:00 pm where student tuition may be covered for families that qualify, based on income. Please contact the ELC Admin Assistant, Jackie Gee at [email protected] for information and visit our San Carlos Early Learning Center page.

When do we find out if our child is an Early Bird or Late Bird for Kindergarten?
Kindergarten students start and end times will vary depending on their “Early Bird” or “Late Bird” assignment. Early Birds start their day at 8:20 am and end an hour earlier than the regular school schedule. Late Birds start an hour later at 9:20 am and end at the same time as the regular school schedule. Schedules are set at each school site and campuses will notify families of placement in early August. There are various factors considered when placing students which include availability, families with siblings, those with financial burdens and the students age.

Are Morning and After School Extended Day programs available?
Yes, we partner with several different providers for before and after school care. Please see our Afterschool and Extended Learning Programs page for links to these organizations for a deeper knowledge and understanding of the programs and times being offered.

Universal Meal Program
SCSD offers breakfast and lunch at no cost to all preschool-8th grade students - regardless of the student's Free or Reduced-Price meal status. Families have the choice to participate in the District’s meal program, but participation is not required. Please note: Registration for 23-24 school year will be available in August 2023.  Please visit our Universal Meal Program page for more information. 


Free and Reduced Price Meal Application
In addition to signing-up to receive free breakfast and/or lunch through our Universal Meal Program, we also ask that you complete the Free & Reduced Price EZ Meal Application to benefit your family, school and community even if you do not believe your will qualify based on your income. Completing this form helps your school receive more funding to support your child's learning environment. The application is used to calculate school funding levels from the state and federal level. Please visit our Free & Reduced-Price (EZ Meal) Application page for more information. Please note: Registration for 23-24 school year will be available in August. For questions or concerns about the Free and Reduced Lunch Program, please send your email to: [email protected].


We are moving to a new residence. What does SCSD need to update our address?
When planning a move, please use our School Locator tool to verify your new address is in the SCSD attendance boundaries. As a reminder, students must live in the district to attend our schools. If your new residence is outside our attendance boundaries, you will need to apply for and receive an approved Interdistrict Transfer to continue attending school in San Carlos. The required documents for an address change are below. Please email the documents to your school secretary.


How do I transfer my student to another school within SCSD?
Please see our Transfer Requests page for more information on Intradistrict (in-district residents) or Interdistrict (out-of-district) transfers.

Can we attend San Carlos schools if we don't live in the district?
Registration into the San Carlos School District begins with residency. You must live in the SCSD attendance boundaries to attend our schools or receive an approved Interdistrict Transfer, please see our Transfer Request website for more information. For more information refer to our AR 5111.1 District Residency.


Where will my children go to high school - 9th-12th Grade?

Students in San Carlos attend the Sequoia High School District. For information on high school, 9th-12th grade enrollment, please contact the Sequoia Union High School District, 480 James Avenue, Redwood City, CA 94062, phone (650) 369-1411. You can verify which high school you are assigned to here - Sequoia High School District School Locator.


How do I get a transcript for my child?
Contact the school office where your child last attended to request a transcript.