California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions for TK/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child's immunization record as proof of immunization.
Students New to the District
If you are registering your child as a new student, please submit a copy during your registration or email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your child will not be able to attend school unless all state-required immunizations have been met.
Required Immunizations for TK-8th Grade:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) — 5 doses
(4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday.) For 7th-12th graders, at least 1 dose of pertussis-containing vaccine is required on or after 7th birthday.
- Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Hepatitis B — 3 doses (not required for 7th grade entry)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses (Both given on or after 1st birthday)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses
7th Grade Students - If your child is an incoming 7th grader, the school secretaries will be in touch with you in the spring of your child’s 6th grade year and will let you know how to send in your immunization records.
Required Immunizations for 7th Grade Advancement:
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose (Whooping cough booster usually given at 11 years and up)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses (Usually given at ages 12 months and 4-6 years)
- Additional school immunization requirements for 7th graders typically apply to students who:
- Previously had a valid personal beliefs exemption filed before 2016 upon entry between TK/Kindergarten and 6th grade, or
- Are new admissions, including from out-of-state; applies to all grades.
Resources for Parents
- Requirements for Students Admitted at TK/K-12 | Requisitos de Vacunación (K-12)
- Immunization Requirements for Incoming 7th Grade Students | Requisitos de Vacunación para 7º Grado
- Medical Exemptions (July 1, 2019: ) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- New California Immunization Regulations (July 1, 2019): Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Vaccine Safety Information for Parents
- Asthma Action Plan