Interdistrict Transfer Requests
To request a transfer out of SCSD to another school district or to request to transfer from an outside school district into San Carlos School District (SCSD), please follow the interdistrict transfer processes.
- Students who live outside of the SCSD boundaries wishing to attend school in SCSD, must apply for and receive an approved Interdistrict Transfer from their home school district before enrolling in our district.
- California mandates that students attend the public school district in which the residency of the parent/guardian is located, called the District of Residence (exception: Tinsley(VTP) students). A parent/guardian whose residence is outside of SCSD boundaries and desires their student to attend a school in SCSD, must first obtain an Interdistrict Transfer approval from their District of Residence. If the District of Residence approves the Interdistrict Transfer, it will be sent to SCSD for processing.
- SCSD will begin accepting and processing Interdistrict Transfer requests for the 2021-2022 school year on February 1, 2021.
- All Interdistrict Transfer requests will be placed on a waitlist until May-June 2021. Interdistrict transfer students are approved on a space-available basis and will only be considered after all in-district students have been placed. Siblings of current students and employees will receive preference.
- SCSD will notify parents/guardians of its final decision as soon as possible, but no sooner than May-June 2021.
- We recommend that you register within your own district to assure you are registered for school in the fall.
- All transfer waitlists expire once the 2021-2022 school year begins.
- New and continuing students must submit a request and receive approval from their home district annually.
- If you have questions about your interdistrict transfer request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who live within the boundaries of SCSD that would like to attend school in another school district must first submit an Interdistrict Transfer Request to the District Office. Transfers must be approved by SCSD before submission to the district desired. Approval to leave the San Carlos School District does not guarantee that the district in which you wish to enroll will approve the request. Once approved by SCSD, we will forward your paperwork to the requested school district. They will notify you of the final outcome of your request. Please email the completed form to email@example.com.
- For students new to SCSD, parents will be able to make a transfer request during their online PowerSchool Enrollment process from January 19 - February 26, 2021.
- For students currently enrolled in SCSD, parents will be able to request a transfer during the PowerSchool annual student information update in Spring 2021.
- Students who are given the approval to transfer will remain enrolled at the new school through the highest grade level offered at that school and will continue on that new track for upper elementary and middle school as the new school requested becomes the new “home” school.
- If you desire to return to your original “home” school, you must reapply for an intradistrict transfer the following year. Determinations to be made in late spring.
- Parents requesting mid-year transfers must meet with the student's current school principal to discuss the reasons for the transfer request and must work with the principal, or the principal's designee, to resolve any issues prior to submitting an Intradistrict Transfer Request.
- All transfer requests must adhere to Board Policies on enrollment priority for neighborhood residents, class size, and consistency of program quality across all schools.
Connections Distance Learning Program
The San Carlos School District is offering K-8 students residing within the boundaries of SCSD the opportunity to enroll in the Connections Distance Learning Program for the 2020-2021 school year due to COVID-19.
Enrollment in the Connections DL Program closed on July 23, 2020. Transfers after the deadline will be approved on a space-available basis. If you are interested in transferring into the Connections Distance Learning Program, please email both the Transfer Request and the Master Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org and your child will be placed on a waitlist and notified if space becomes available.
Superintendent Harmeier held a virtual information presentation on Tuesday, July 14, 2020. A copy of the presentation slides can be found here - Connections Distance Learning Information Presentation 7.14.20 - and you may also view it on Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/438410253.