Early Learning Center / Preschool Program
San Carlos School District Early Learning Center is built on the principle that children learn best through play! In our rich, developmentally appropriate environment, positive self-identities and proactive communication skills develop through hands-on experiences. As children engage in multi-sensory activities they are involved in experiences which build awareness of varied viewpoints. Children are encouraged to explore, invent, and discover ways to create their own unique understanding of the world. We value family traditions and family involvement in the ongoing education of young children. We believe in building a strong community through mutual respect, cooperation, understanding, and open communication.
DEVELOPMENTALLY APPROPRIATE PRACTICE
We follow Developmentally Appropriate Practice, which is a guideline for educators designed by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). It is a guideline for maintaining a high-quality program. The basics of these guidelines are as follows:
- Our curriculum is based on knowledge of how children learn.
- Activities and learning experiences reflect concepts and ideas that are relevant to the child’s world.
- Teachers understand the sequence of development, and that children develop at their own, unique rate.
- Individual and cultural variation is celebrated.
- Teachers provide many opportunities for children to work in small groups to practice problem-solving.
- Teachers provide opportunities for children to choose their own activities from varied learning areas based on program goals and information teachers have collected about each child.
Learn more about our State-Funded Preschool Program | Click to Expand
State-Subsidized Preschool Income Levels
The chart below shows the maximum monthly incomes for families of different sizes.
Límites de Ingresos*
Effective July 1, 2023
*The monthly gross income (before tax deductions) in each box represents the maximum limit per family size.
El ingreso en bruto (antes de las deducciones de taxes) en cada caja representa el límite máximo por tamaño de la familia
If you have any questions, please email San Carlos ELC Director Sue Dawley.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2023-24 school year. If you are interested in applying, please fill out the pre-registration form associated with your Home School. If you have any questions, please email San Carlos ELC Director Sue Dawley.
In the event that we have more applicants than we have spaces for, we will hold a lottery to determine preschool placement. We will begin notifying families shortly thereafter.
- Arundel Full Day - Arundel Pre-Registration Form
- Brittan Acres Full Day - Brittan Acres Pre-Registration Form
- Heather Full Day - Heather Pre-Registration Form
- White Oaks Full Day - White Oaks Pre-Registration Form
- Brittan Acres AM Plus - Brittan Acres AM Plus Pre-Registration Form
- Brittan Acres Two-Year Old - Brittan Acres Two-Year Old
Directions to Preschools | Click to Expand
- Come up Phelps Road to the large parking lot
- Come through the gate and walk down the steps
- Come through a second gate and turn right at the corridor
- Meet in front of Rooms 14 and 15
- Head up Brittan Ave toward Alameda de las Pulgas
- Turn right on Cordilleras
- Turn left on Elizabeth
- Turn left on Rutherdale
- Preschool at the end of the cul de sac
- Park on the street
- Come through the first gate, we will let you in the second gate
- Park in parking lot
- Preschool buildings on the far right side of the campus
- Come through the green gate
- Meet in front of Rooms 23 and 24
- White Oak Way off Cedar Avenue
- Come through the black gate on the right side of the street
- Meet in front of Rooms D and E
EARLY LEARNING CENTER SITES
200 Arundel Road
- Turtles (Room 14) 650-832-4678
- Penguins (Room 15) 650-832-4679
- Orcas (Room 22) 650-832-4646
Brittan Acres ELC
2000 Belle Avenue
- Blue Jays (Room 22) 650-832-4041
- Dragonflies (Room 23) 650-832-4042
- Hummingbirds (Room 24) 650-597-1329
- Ducklings (Room 25) 650-508-7330
2757 Melendy Drive
- Koalas (Room 22) 650-832-4531
- Owls (Room 23) 650-597-1039
- Hedgehogs (Room 24) 650-654-7646
White Oaks ELC
1901 White Oak Way
- Butterflies (Room D) 650-597-1499
- Honey Bees (Room E) 650-632-8090