Early Learning Center / Preschool Program
San Carlos School District Early Learning Center is built on the principle that children learn best through play! In our rich, developmentally appropriate environment, positive self-identities and proactive communication skills develop through hands-on experiences. As children engage in multi-sensory activities they are involved in experiences which build awareness of varied viewpoints. Children are encouraged to explore, invent, and discover ways to create their own unique understanding of the world. We value family traditions and family involvement in the ongoing education of young children. We believe in building a strong community through mutual respect, cooperation, understanding, and open communication.
DEVELOPMENTALLY APPROPRIATE PRACTICE
We follow Developmentally Appropriate Practice, which is a guideline for educators designed by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). It is a guideline for maintaining a high-quality program. The basics of these guidelines are as follows:
- Our curriculum is based on knowledge of how children learn.
- Activities and learning experiences reflect concepts and ideas that are relevant to the child’s world.
- Teachers understand the sequence of development, and that children develop at their own, unique rate.
- Individual and cultural variation is celebrated.
- Teachers provide many opportunities for children to work in small groups to practice problem-solving.
- Teachers provide opportunities for children to choose their own activities from varied learning areas based on program goals and information teachers have collected about each child.
Learn more about our State-Funded Preschool Program - click here -
State-Subsidized Preschool Income Levels
The chart below shows the maximum monthly incomes for families of different sizes.
Límites de Ingresos
Effective July 1, 2022
*The monthly gross income (before tax deductions) in each box represents the maximum limit per family size.
El ingreso en bruto (antes de las deducciones de taxes) en cada caja representa el límite máximo por tamaño de la familia
If you have any questions, please email San Carlos ELC Director Sue Dawley.
We began accepting pre-registration forms for the 2023-2024 year on Monday, October 3, 2022. If you are interested in applying, please fill out the pre-registration form associated with your Home School. Only one pre-registration form may be submitted. Pre-registration forms will continue to be collected until Friday, February 24, 2023. If you have any questions, please email San Carlos ELC Director Sue Dawley.
In the event that we have more applicants than we have spaces for, we will hold a lottery to determine preschool placement. We will begin notifying families shortly thereafter. Applicants will be notified by March 17, 2023 based on the results of the lottery.
- Arundel Full Day - Arundel Pre-Registration Form
- Brittan Acres Full Day - Brittan Acres Pre-Registration Form
- Heather Full Day - Heather Pre-Registration Form
- White Oaks Full Day - White Oaks Pre-Registration Form
- Brittan Acres AM Plus - Brittan Acres AM Plus Pre-Registration Form
- Arundel Preschool - Meet by Room 14 - October 19, November 15, January 19, February 9
- Brittan Acres Preschool - Meet in the Preschool Yard - October 20, November 16, January 20, February 10
- Heather Preschool - Meet in the Preschool Yard - October 26, November 29, January 26, February 13
- White Oaks Preschool - Meet by Rooms D and E - October 27, November 30, January 27, February 15
- Head up Brittan Ave toward Alameda de las Pulgas
- Turn right on Cordilleras
- Turn left on Elizabeth
- Turn left on Rutherdale
- Preschool at the end of the cul de sac
- Park on the street
- Come through the first gate, we will let you in the second gate
- Come up Phelps Road to large parking lot
- Come through gate and walk down the steps
- Come through a second gate and turn right at the corridor
- Meet in front of Rooms 14 and 15
- White Oak Way off Cedar Avenue
- Come through black gate on right side of street
- Meet in front of Rooms D and E
- Park in parking lot
- Preschool buildings on the far right side of the campus
- Come through green gate
- Meet in front of Rooms 23 and 24
EARLY LEARNING CENTER SITES
200 Arundel Road
- Turtles (Room 14) 650-832-4678
- Penguins (Room 15) 650-832-4679
- Orcas (Room 22) 650-832-4646
Brittan Acres ELC
2000 Belle Avenue
- Blue Jays (Room 22) 650-832-4041
- Dragonflies (Room 23) 650-832-4042
- Hummingbirds (Room 24) 650-597-1329
- Ducklings (Room 25) 650-508-7330
2757 Melendy Drive
- Koalas (Room 22) 650-832-4531
- Owls (Room 23) 650-597-1039
- Hedgehogs (Room 24) 650-654-7646
White Oaks ELC
1901 White Oak Way
- Butterflies (Room D) 650-597-1499
- Honey Bees (Room E) 650-632-8090