Workshop Description: This interactive workshop is designed to provide information about Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity Expression (SOGIE) as it relates to building inclusiveness in the City of San Carlos and in our schools. Adults and young adults (ages 14+) from the entire community are welcome to attend.
- We will define the terminology and language we use when talking about the unique experiences of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- We will explore stereotypes and norms related to gender and discuss what it means to “function” in a binary confirming society.
- We will do activities related to how to respectfully have conversations with students and others in the community related to coming out.
- We will share best practices on creating safe, inclusive learning environments for people of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
- We will provide an overview of the unique mental health challenges faced by LGBTQ+ students and adults.
Presenters: Diana Hernandez and Ryan Fouts are both part of Outlet, a program of Adolescent Counseling Services, that empowers LGBTQ+ youth ages 10-25 through support, education, and advocacy. Diana Hernandez works as the Education Coordinator for Outlet. She focuses on empowering the community to stand up against discrimination and advocates for more LGBTQ+ inclusive schools, organizations, and communities. Ryan Fouts, LCSW, is Outlet’s Program Director. He is committed to supporting young people in addressing both personal and systemic challenges that they face, and he is passionate about empowering young people to create their best future.