Surplus Property Advisory Committee
On May 28, 2015, the San Carlos School District Board of Trustees approved formation of an advisory committee to advise the District and Board of Trustees in the development of policies and procedures to govern the use or disposition of school buildings, space or property which is not currently needed for school purposes. The committee is composed of 8 members representing a cross section of the community as required by Education Code Section 17387-17391. The Board specifically requested advice regarding use of the following District properties:
• Vacant land at the Southwest corner of the District’s Heather Elementary School located at 2757 Melendy Drive, San Carlos, California.
• The tennis courts and wooded area including the trail located in the Northwestern portion of the District’s Arundel Elementary School located at 200 Arundel Road, San Carlos, California.
• The District Office located at 1200 Industrial Road, Unit 9, San Carlos, California.
The committee is charged with reviewing projected enrollment, establishing a priority list of surplus and real property that will be acceptable to the community, making a determination of limits of tolerance of use of space and real property, and developing a priority list and present a written report of finding to the Board of Trustees.
The committee has held two meetings thus far, May 5, 2016 and May 17, 2016. A public hearing regarding the above properties will be held June 1, 2016. It is anticipated that a final meeting for the committee to make its recommendations to the School Board will be held on June 16, 2016, with the intent to bring the committee’s recommendations and written report to the Board of Trustees at its meeting of June 30, 2016.
It is important to note that at the June 1 public hearing, the District is neither taking action nor making a decision of any kind regarding potential sale of any of these properties, and that the June 1 meeting is being held by the advisory committee, not the Board of Trustees. Recent blog posts suggesting otherwise are erroneous. The School Board would not consider any action and will not take up the matter until and unless the committee has presented its report and the Board of Trustees had duly considered the committee’s recommendations. The Board ultimately may elect to take no action, to explore leases for one or more of the properties, to consider open space and other use, or to sell one or more of the properties. While community input is welcome at the committee’s meeting on June 1, there will be no action taken that night by either the committee or by the District.
Should you have any questions about the committee or this process, please contact Robert Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are additional documents regarding the 7-11/Surplus Property Committee
Here is a list of links:
- Historic Student Enrollment
- Out of District Enrollment
- Past Considerations of Site Expansion at Arundel
- Past Considerations of Site Expansion at Heather
- 7 – 11 Committee Meeting Minutes 5-17-16
- Public Hearing Notice for June 1, 2016
- Presentation for 7-11 Committee Meeting 6-1-2016
- Arundel Tennis Court Use of Frequency
- Historical and Projected Enrollment
- 7-11 Committee Meeting Minutes 6-1-16